This is Clendening's house. Clendening lived on his rural estate for many years, but in 1836 he lost most of his money when President Andrew Jackson refused to renew the charter of the United States Bank, in which Clendening was a major stockholder. The estate was sold in 1845 as forty lots for a total of $4500.
Although the mansion was torn down the area was known as Clendening Valley well into the post civil war 19th century New York. On the site where Clendening's house one stood, the Clendening Hotel (left and below) rose in its place on the west side of Amsterdam Avenue at 103rd street. The Hotel survived until 1965 when it was torn down for furthest west building of the Douglas Houses complex.
This is The Colonial White House. The name came from the
columns and the fleeting resemblance to the real Executive Mansion.
The Rogers' property then ran over to the Bloomingdale Road just south of the Downes Boulevard Hotel at 103rd and then followed the western edge of the Clendening Lane up to the south side of 105th street between 9th and 10th Avenues. Then over to 8th Avenue and up to 107th street where the boundary ran a non - conforming to the grid straight line over to Riverside. Big piece of land once upon a time, but it was starting to shrink.